Pin It

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Traveling

One of the reasons I started this blog is that I have a strong desire to become a bicycle traveler. I see the bike as a great way to be outside (my favorite place), view the place I have decided to visit (what's unique about being inside a building?), develop a better understanding of the lives of the people who live there (anywhere). The method almost forces one to have interactions with local people and it gives the traveler time to contemplate.

I have taken several hiking vacations. The kind where you walk from village to village and your belongings are delivered to your next destination. I have fully enjoyed these trips, but I like the idea of being free from the constraints imposed by that type of plan. To be able to have everything you need (or can carry) with you, and the freedom to change plans at any time is very appealing to me. Of course there are trade-offs. It also means you have to deal with the whims of mother nature, the mechanical set backs when they occur, and the limitations of not planning. But I cherish the special encounters with random people who remind me of the generosity and kindness in this world. I believe it makes me a better person. It certainly renews my soul.

And you get to exercise too :)

I am in the midst of becoming this type of traveler. I am in the planning stage. I hope to use this forum as a way to express my deep interest and enthusiasm, as well as a resource to others. I would love to hear from others who have been down this road and have tips and words of experience to offer.

For me, bicycle traveling will provide a way to relax and enjoy my time away from the responsibilities of my work-a-day life. It will not become my way of life, but it will influence my way of life. I already own several bikes, ride regularly, and travel quite a bit, but I want to bring these elements together and create a new alchemy: LikeyBikey's travels (and tales).

No comments:

Post a Comment