Pin It

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Notes on Nerdiness

I recently celebrated my inner nerd. In fact, I enjoyed my nerdy moment so much I'd like to share it with you. I went on a little vacation to Paso Robles, Ca., where I successfully combined some of my favorite things: travel, bikes, technology, and wine. I had never spent any time in this area before but I had heard it is a good place to ride bikes. It is also known for it's wine production. I took my bike and planned to investigate.

I enjoy maps and like to record routes by gps. I do this with my iPhone, and I'm so nerdy that I use several different applications for this purpose and then upload the files to a few different websites specializing in this sort of geekiness. In the process of trying to decide where I should ride my bike, I discovered that these tools can be used for the opposite purposes just as easily and are perhaps more useful this way. What I mean is that I can find a route created by someone else in the area I want to ride, download that map to my phone and use it as a navigation tool. It provides location identification (shows you where you currently are on the map) in relation to where the route goes. This is an easy way to explore somewhere you've never been and prevent you from getting lost.

It is awesome! and has opened all sorts of doors for me in terms of feeling free and safe to explore new places. I made a couple of videos of the rides I took. They don't do justice to the true beauty of the area, but do give a sneak peak.

No comments:

Post a Comment