Pin It

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Be Seen

Have you been caught out on the bike past sunset by accident, without lights? I have and it's a little scary. Do you ride regularly at night? If you do what lighting solutions do you use?

I recently went somewhere on my bike knowing I would be riding home in the dark. I brought the lights I had and thought I'd be well enough prepared. I was wrong. I made it home safe and sound, but I realized if I am going to do this again I need to be better lit up. I also want to see better.

What I had not considered was that the bike path I planned on riding had a new danger after dark. The daytime benefit of being separated from street traffic also meant that there was no lighting. It was completely dark. This created 2 problems: no one could see me and I could not see any obstacles in my way.

I have come accross this video demonstrating an interesting product designed to illuminate cyclists in the dark. It looks pretty cool. While it will not solve the "seeing" issue, it seems to take care of the "being seen", take a look:

No comments:

Post a Comment