Pin It

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Breast Cancer

I know, you are asking me: what does a bike blog have to do with breast cancer? Well, I guess my answer is that maybe this is a life-blog that talks quite a bit about bikes. Anyway, breast cancer has been on my mind a lot for the past month.

This weekend was the Susan G. Komen 3-Day Breast Cancer Walk in San Diego. I did not walk (I never do fund raising events because I can't ask people for money), but I did support my friends who walked. I met them each day, bought them beers and gave them snacks, and tried to make them laugh (I rode my bike to our meet up spots so there is a bike in this story).

I ended up waiting for them in places where other supporters were also congregating. I was a little surprised by the zany outfits, brazen slogans, and kookie attitudes. I was not surprised to see people limping and doggedly marching on despite pain, exhaustion, or bad weather.

My work partner is a breast cancer survivor. She walked the whole thing and others walked along beside her. Today, the final day of the walk, is her 47th birthday. No one I know makes me laugh as much as she does. No one I know is loved by so many people from different walks of life, and different cultures. Tania is my hero today, and she does not even ride a bike...
Cheers to you ladies in pink!

No comments:

Post a Comment