Pin It

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Tour de Fat

I went to my first Tour de Fat yesterday. It was incredibly fun. If you don't know what I'm talking about you should find out. It is somewhat of a bike festival/carnival put on by New Belgium Brewery. The official website is here. But I think it has to be experienced to understand, in fact, I'm not sure I "understand" it. But I sure liked it!

I see the Tour de Fat as: a fundraising event for local bike organizations, an opportunity for people to expand their idea of what "bicycle" means, a beer festival, a way to expand one's idea of companies that give back, and most of all, a lot of fun.

I decided to volunteer and be a part of fundraising for the San Diego Bicycle Coalition. I poured beer for a few hours. It was an easy way to contribute, have fun, and get some free and fabulous beer.

One of the things I'd like to do for myself is to become more involved in my local bike community. I picked a great way to get started.


According to this website New Belgium sponsors another form of bike/beer hilarity in the form of Urban Assault Rides. This looks like more good times. It does not come to my town, but looks worthy of a road trip...

No comments:

Post a Comment