Pin It

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Getting Involved

What is a bicycle community to you? Are you involved on some level? Do you give or take?

I do not ask these questions to spark debate, I'm not a person who enjoys arguments. Rather, I want to inspire thought, insight, discussion and possibly action. I am also not an activist person. I don't go to marches or rallies, I don't like shouting and taunting. I believe the personal is political, and to me that means: vote your beliefs, support organizations you believe in, and go to events that appeal to you. Spread the word, offer advise and encouragement to others.

I love the diversity of bicycles. The bikes themselves cover a wide spectrum and so do the riders. I find people to be endlessly interesting. The reasons they ride, how, where and what they choose to ride are all part of their bikeyness.

In my community the bike is on the rise. I see way more people riding these days, far more bike shops around, and a growing bike infrastructure. This combination does not occur in a vacuum. I feel momentum building and I hope it is spreading. I want to be a part of a movement I believe in. I don't want to just watch it happen around me. I will continue to get involved and participate in ways that make sense to me. I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment