Pin It

Monday, July 25, 2011

Mixing Up Your Ride

Many of the bikey people I know are like me, we have more than one bike. I have a mountain bike, a touring bike (which is really a cyclocross bike), and a flip-flop Single Speed. I also want a new road bike (my last one was smashed like a carbon-fiber fly on a windscreen). OK, I also have a really old fixy, but I don't ride it any more because the fit is way too aggressive for my fractured T-8 virtebrae. It's a shame because I used to ride that old junker more than any other bike. The flip-flop is a replacement, much more relaxed set up with a flat bar and a rack on the back.

I've been gearing up for my tour so my rides have been almost exclusively on the "touring bike." But I needed to have the cables replaced (too short with the new stem) so it's in the shop for a couple of days. I took a spin on the single-speed today and had a blast! I really love single-speed/fixed bikes. They are soooo responsive, comparatively light, and just good fun.

If you haven't ever tried it you may not understand the appeal of a bike with only one gear and no coasting. The simplicity is what does it for me. It's a great way to train the legs to keep spinning. I do have a brake however, I'm not strictly pure. I ride on the road and I've been doored and smashed. I want a brake.

Do you have more than one bike? Which one do you find yourself riding the most?

No comments:

Post a Comment