Pin It

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Charging Your iPhone While Riding?

I mentioned previously that I'm searching for a solution for the charging issue posed by traveling off the grid. I love conservation and the cycle of use. I try to practice minimal energy consumption. However, for me, this does not mean avoiding electronics all together. I use my iPhone everyday, sometimes a lot. I want to use a bike computer that also uses power. I also mentioned previously that I was looking for a solar charger to help me with my electronic entertainment on the road without an outlet (electrical).

In my pursuit of such an item I have considered a few things. First I bought a Brunton Explorer from REI. I was unnerved when I opened the package to find that there was no product information what so ever; there was no power cord to charge from an outlet; and it did not seem to work with my iPhone. One thing I really love about REI is their return policy. I took it back, no problem.

Next I found 2 other promising products. The most intriguing to me is the bike powered iPhone charger called the "RollerGen". You can read about it here. Unfortunately, I could not find anyplace that actually sells this item. I saw several references to the item, and found the website for the developers of the product, but it does not seem to be available for purchase. I'd love to try it though. The third product I considered is the Dexium P-Flip Solar charger. I'm not sure if this will meet my solar needs, but I ordered one to give it a try.

I hope to find a product that meets and/or exceeds my charging dreams, but I remain doubtful. I will do what many a bike traveller has done before me: keep my good old fashioned plug handy and keep my eyes open for any available outlet and give it a charge!

Update July 24

The P-Flip Solar charge has arrived and I've done some minor testing. First and foremost, it does charge the iPhone 4! It comes with a USB connector that will charge the battery from the computer, which takes approximately 6 hours for a full charge. I've only fully charged it once using the solar panels, and that took 2 full days! I mean sunny Southern California days. 

Product information says there is a wall charger for the unit, but it's an "accessory". I think it's more of a "mandatory" and will be attempting to see if I can find one to purchase (a quick look on the website was not helpful).

No comments:

Post a Comment