Pin It

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Pain & Suffering

I've been thinking about why I love to ride so much despite the fact that it is uncomfortable. I had not really thought about the pain of riding very much until I was hit by a car and spent months in pain. For some reason it was during my recovery from those injuries when I became conscious of the fact that riding is inevitably filled with pain and discomfort. At least it is if you put in a lot of miles and log several hours each weak in the saddle. I think it might be a little like childbirth, the pain is not the primary sensation a rider focuses on or remembers. It becomes just part of the thing that brings other more pleasant sensations that take precidence. The pain is a necessary evil that is what it is, and it doesn't matter, it isn't a deterent.

I have been slowly building my stregenth back up to the point where I can ride enough to make me happy. It has taken me 3.5 years of patience and pain and rehab to get to this point. The other day I rode the greatest distance since the accident, 47 total miles in one day (12 in the morning, 35 in the afternoon). The best thing about it was that I was more tired than sore. I believe I can do more. That makes me happier than I can describe.

I don't know how to explain to non-riders why I like to ride so much. There are so many forms of exercise that won't put me back at risk of being hit by another car. I am not a thrill junkie who is excited about riding along big fast cars. It isn't because I like the pain.

I like to ride so much it is slowly becoming a much bigger part of my life than it was before the accident. I search out opportunities to see movies about riding (Ride the Divide - is a good one). I read books about riding. I look for events (that only partly require a bike) involving riding, I'm planning vacations that revolve around the bike. I've started a blog so I can write about riding. But I still can't adaquately explain why I love it so much.

Why do you ride?

No comments:

Post a Comment